♦ Plenary: Launching Change!
Gardens are the foundation of a whole-school transformation. Learn about national trends and studies, the impact of gardening on educational achievement and whole-child development, and how the garden creates an opportunity for developing a transdisciplinary approach.
♦ A garden in every school... how to get there?
Transformational gardens are the result of a school team effort. Case studies will feature the multiple perspectives of school team members who have made it happen. The goal is to build understanding about the various stakeholders needed in starting and maintaining a school garden, and integrating this asset into school activities.
♦ Poster Session and Exhibitor Fair
Exhibitor Fair: Connect with resources for help with your garden
Browse tables for curriculum ideas, education program support, horticultural and other expert advisors
Poster Session: School Garden Stories
Experiences and lessons from existing school gardens
♦ Afternoon Breakout Sessions (with coffee!)
I. Creating a team approach to develop and nurture the school garden
The garden itself will help you build your team. Learn how this happens!
II. How to solve problems, including:
• Garden leadership - nurturing multiple champions
• Building the team to start a garden
• Planning for leadership succession
• Managing the garden when school's not in session
• Initial and ongoing funding for the garden
• Involving community members
• Fulfilling state standards with your school garden
III. Taking it to the next level: Workshops to enhance student learning
• Bees, Butterflies and Bugs
• Using Today's Technology
• Enhancing Communication skills
• Using Water - best practices
• English Language Learners/ESL