BEVERLY R. DURGAN
Dean, University of Minnesota Extension
BRENDA CASSELLIUS, Minnesota Commissioner of Education
DAVID FREDERICKSON, Minnesota Commissioner of Agriculture
Gardens are the foundation of a whole-school transformation. Learn about national trends and studies, the impact of gardening on educational achievement and whole-child development, and how the garden creates an opportunity for developing a transdisciplinary approach.
JOHN FISHER, Outreach Director, LifeLab, Santa Cruz, California
LifeLab is a nationally recognized organization supporting school gardens around the U.S. with training, curriculum, and materials. Mr. Fisher will describe national trends and research findings on the value of school gardens not only for the students, but for the entire school and its community.
IMMANUEL JONES, Sustainability Committee Member, Minneapolis Community and Technical College
Share the birth and growth of Eco-City Minnesota, an organization dedicated to changing the way youth are perceived through gardening.
Browse tables for curriculum ideas, education program support, horticultural and other expert advisors
Experiences and lessons from existing school gardens
School Case Studies: Transformational gardens are the result of a school team effort. Case studies will feature the multiple perspectives of school team members who have made it happen. The goal is to build understanding about the various stakeholders needed in starting and maintaining a school garden, and integrating this asset into school activities.
• Little Falls, Minn.(founder of Sibley East School Garden)
• Intermediate District 287: South Education Center
• Champlin-Brooklyn Park Academy
• Columbia Heights Public Schools
• Connecting the School - Garden to Curriculum
• Chew on This! Utilizing school-grown food at school
• From the Gate to the Plate - Steps for safe food handling
• The Garden as Teaching Tool for Social Science
• Win-Win - Engaging community organizations as partners
• Parent Engagement and Opportunity
• Bees and Other Pollinators - For your garden and student learning
• Gardens for Engineering
• Beyond Food - Alternative garden opportunities that meet the needs and resources of your school (with cool benefits)
• Opportunities and Challenges of Partnership - Perspective from a preschool garden effort
Join the Schoolyard Garden Coalition and enjoy the winter beauty (spring awakening??) of the Arboretum as the sun goes down, visit with new and old friends.