Edward L. Schneider
Director of the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
U of M Department Affiliations
Department of Horticulture Science
Ph.D.: Botany, University of California, Santa Barbara, California
M.S.: Plant Ecology, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA
B.A., Biology, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA
- Taylor, Mackenzie , Cooper, Ranessa , Schneider, Edward., Osborn, Jeffrey. 2016. Pollen Structure and Development in Nymphaeales: Insights into Character Evolution in an Ancient Angiosperm Lineage. American Journal of Botany. In Press.
- Kennedy, Kathryn and Ed Schneider. 2013. The Center for Plant Conservation: Thirty Years of Recovering America's Vanishing Flora. Monographs of the 3rd International Conference "Living in Harmony: Botanical Gardens and Society - Dialogue without Borders", Tver Russia. Pg:195-198 (in English & Russian). Polypress ISBN 978-5-904807-26-9. Russia.
- Olin, Peter and Ed Schneider 2013. Good Public Garden Administration. Monographs of the 3rd International Conference " Living in Harmony: Botanical Gardens and Society - Dialogue without Borders", Tver Russia. Pg: 74-86 (in English & Russian). Polypress ISBN 978-5-904807-26-9.
- Carlquist, S., Edward Schneider, and Kevin Kenneally. 2012. SEM studies on tracheids of Lycopodiaceae; observations on adaptations in Phylloglossum. American Fern Journal. 102(4): 273-282.
- Carlquist, S. and Edward L. Schneider. 2010. Origins and nature of Vessels in Monocotyledons. 12. Pit membrane Microstructure diversity in tracheary elements of Astelia. Pacific Science. 64(4): 607-618.
- Carlquist, S. and Edward L. Schneider. 2010. Origins and Nature of vessels in monocotyledons. 11. Primary xylem microstructure, with examples from Zingiberales. International Journal of Plant Sciences. 171(3): 258-266.
- Schneider, Edward L. and S. Carlquist. 2009. Xylem of early angiosperms: Novel microstructure in stem tracheids of Barclaya (Nymphaeaceae). Aquatic Botany 91: 61-66.
- Carlquist, S. and E.L. Schneider. 2009. Do tracheid microstructure and presence of minute crystals link Nymphaeaceae, Cabombaceae, and Hydatellaceae? Bot. J. Linnean Soc. 159: 572-582.
- Schneider, Edward L., Sherwin Carlquist, and C. Barre Hellquist. 2009. Microstructure of tracheids of Nymphaea. International Journal of Plant Sciences. 170: 457-466. Includes cover photo of journal.
- Carlquist, S. and E.L. Schneider. 2009. Distinctive tracheid microstructure in stems of Victoria and Euryale. Bot. J. Linnean Soc. 159: 52-57.
- Carlquist, S., Edward L. Schneider, and C. Barre Hellquist. 2009. Xylem of Early Angiosperms: Nuphar (Nymphaeaceae) has Novel Tracheid Microstructure. American Journal of Botany 96: 207-215.
- Carlquist, S., E.L. Schneider, and K.F. Kenneally. 2008. Origins and nature of vessels in monocotyledons. 10. Boryaceae: xeromorphic xylem structure in a resurrection plant. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia. 91: 13-20.
- Carlquist, S. and E.L. Schneider 2007. Tracheary elements in Ferns: new techniques, observations, and concepts. American Fern Journal 97(4): 199-211.
- Schneider, E.L.,S. Carlquist, and J. G. Chemnick. 2007. Scanning electron microscope studiesof cycad tracheids. South African Journal of Botany 73: 512-517.
- Carlquist, S, and E.L. Schneider. 2007. Origins and nature of vessels in monocotyledons. 9. Sansevieria. South African Journal of Botany 73(2): 196-203.
Click here for a complete list of publications.
Selected Community and Professional Activities
- Past-President, Botanical Society of America (BSA), 2006- 2007
- Chair, Development Committee, Botanical Soc. Amer., 2007- 2010
- College of Science Development Committee, CWU, 2007 - 2009
- President, Botanical Society of America (BSA), 2005- 2006
- American Assoc. of Museums (AAM), National Program Committee, 2005 - 2006
- Council of Scientific Society Presidents (CSSP), Board Member, 2005 - 2007
- Center for Plant Conservation, Board of Directors, 1999 - Present
- President, Texas Academy of Science, 1992- 1993
- Amer. Assoc. Museum Governance National Taskforce (Chair), 1999 to 2001
- Botanical Society of America, Finance Advisory Group/Trustee, 1995 to Present
- American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta, Board of Directors, 1999 - 2001
- Institute of Museum and Library Services; Museum Assessment Program (MAP) Technical Advisory, 1999 -2004
Selected Awards and Recognitions
- 2015, Arboretum Director Ed Schneider was recently honored by the Botanical Society of American (BSA) with a colloquium, a tribute to his three-decades-plus of scientific research in water lily (nymphaeales) structure and function. At this colloquium, a conference featuring scholars in botany, systematics and paleobotany, Schneider's foundational research on the biology of water lilies was showcased. He is a past recipient of the BSA Merit Award and inductee to the International Water Lily Society Hall of Fame. Schneider also is a professor of horticulture at the University of Minnesota.
- 2007, American Association of Museums Award for Excellence in Peer Review
- 2006, Centennial Medallion Recipient, Botanical Society of America
- 2001, John Dwyer Lectureship (Biology), St. Louis University & Missouri Botanical Garden
- 1998, Centennial Medallion (for Excellence & Distinction), Texas State University
- 1998, Botanical Society of America Award of Merit (highest honor given by society)
- 1998, UCSB Outstanding Faculty Member (Residence Hall Association & Residential Life)
- 1997, International Award of Appreciation, International Water Lily
- 1996, Chevalier du Maréchalat des Côtes de Duras
- 1996, Distinguished Alumnus, Central Washington University
- 1995, Hall of Fame - International Water Lily Society Society (highest honor given by society)
- 1986, Recipient: Presidential Award For Excellence in Research, Southwest Texas State University (one recipient annually)
- 1980, Fellow - Texas Academy of Science
Click here for Dr. Schneider's teaching, lecture and workshop experience.
Click here for a list of grants, contracts, foundation and donor support awards.
Read a brief bio on Dr. Schneider
Inside the Home of the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum's New Director, from Southwest Magazine
New Director Announcement